Required Reading: Grantland Dissects the Harrison Barnes Mythos
I suppose it was inevitable. With North Carolina losing in convincing fashion yesterday, you knew the articles would come. Harrison Barnes of the North Carolina Tar Heels is not a great basketball player. Jay Caspian King of Grantland.com unravels the mystery behind Barnes in a beautifully written piece covering his recruitment announcement to his final game as a Tar Heel.
Here is a snippet of King’s article,
It’s necessary to point out here that the Barnes who held that press conference was a precocious 17-year-old honors student who prided himself on thinking of basketball as a business opportunity. Why wouldn’t he? That’s the logic of elite athletics these days — reduce everything to business, thereby enabling you to respond to every query with the always-logical response: “It’s a business.” It’s just as important to point out that this Harrison Barnes, who shot 8-for-30 from the field in his last two games at Carolina, will not turn 20 until the end of May. He’s a kid, and like all kids — especially talented ones — he’s more a product of the adults in his life than anything else. While I won’t go as far as to say that the Harrison Barnes branding project, which began in earnest during his junior year in high school, caused its main actor to miss all those shots, I do think it’s worth wondering exactly how a smart, talented basketball player became so wrapped up in his own legacy.
You can find the entire article over at Grantland.com.
Latest posts by Chris Willis (see all)
- Episode 62 – NBA Finals Preview: Miami Heat vs San Antonio Spurs - June 6, 2013
- Sneaker Droppings: 5/4/2013 – Air Jordan V “Grape” - May 2, 2013
- Sneaker Droppings: 4/27/2013 – Nike Basketball Elite 2.0 Superhero Collection - April 25, 2013
- Episode 61 – NBA Playoffs, Awards - April 18, 2013
- NBA Power Rankings – Week 22 – The End of Streaks - April 1, 2013
- Sneaker Droppings: 3/29/2013 – Nike KD V “Easter” - March 28, 2013
- Sneaker Droppings: 3/29/2013 – Nike Kobe 8 “Easter” - March 28, 2013
- Sneaker Droppings: 3/29/2013 – Nike Air Foamposite One “White” - March 28, 2013
- Sneaker Droppings: 3/29/2013 – Nike Lebron X “Easter” - March 28, 2013
- NBA Power Rankings – Week 21 – Denver Nuggets Are Going Streaking! - March 25, 2013
- Sneaker Droppings: 3/23/2013 – Nike KD 5 “Aunt Pearl” - March 23, 2013
- Episode 60 – MARCH MADNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - March 21, 2013
- NBA Power Rankings – Week 20 – Lebron and the Heat Stay on Top - March 18, 2013
- Sonics: Priority Ticket Waitlist – Response Overwhelming, Crashes Site and Excites Fans - March 15, 2013
- Sneaker Droppings: 3/16/2013 – Air Jordan XIII Retro “He Got Game” - March 15, 2013